Equality and Diversity
Celebrating diversity and working to achieve the creative potential in all our students is at the heart of the work of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama. It is committed to training and supporting the most talented students, regardless of ethnicity, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation or religion. Applicants to the Conservatoire schools are chosen solely on the basis of their talent and potential to develop the skills required for their chosen profession.
The Conservatoire aims to meet, and where possible exceed, its legal obligations regarding equality and diversity. To fulfil this aim the Conservatoire employs an Equality and Diversity Manager, Lois Keith, and has established an Equality and Diversity Group comprising Conservatoire staff and representatives from all eight schools. This group led the development of the Conservatoire’s Disability Equality Scheme in 2006 and the Gender Equality Scheme in 2007.
Equality Schemes and Action Plan
We currently have a single equality plan for 2012 - 2015, which takes into account the requirements of the Equality Act. The Conservatoire is committed to placing a similar emphasis on other areas of equality and diversity to ensure that students from ethnic minorities and other under-represented groups have the opportunity to train at the schools and are given support.
If you would like to view the Conservatoire’s previous Equality Schemes, you can download them here:
If you would like to view the Conservatoire's Equality and Diversity Action Plan for 2012-15, or our recent reviews of progress, you can view or download the PDF documents below:
- Equality Action Plan 2012 - 2015 (updated 2014)
- Review of Progress and Achievements in Equality and Diversity in 2013
- Review of Progress and Achievements in Equality and Diversity in 2012
- Review of Progress and Achievements in Equality and Diversity 2009-2011
If you would like to view these documents in an alternative format, please contact our Communications and Projects Coordinator, Emma Swift (email@example.com) or our Equality and Diversity Manager, Lois Keith (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Promoting Mental Health and Wellbeing
If you would like to view the Conservatoire’s Guidelines to Mental Health and Wellbeing, including our leaflets for staff and students, you can download them here:
- Guidelines to mental health and wellbeing
- Responding to students with disordered eating
- Leaflet: Staff guidance on supporting students showing signs of mental distress
- Poster: Procedure for supporting students with mental health difficulties
- Student leaflet: Do you know someone who is experiencing mental distress?
- Student poster: are you worried about the mental health of someone you know?
Support for Disabled Students
If you would like more information on the support the Conservatoire offers its disabled students, please follow the link below: