Rambert School

Image: Aurelian Langlais

Brexit and Home/EU Student Funding

Conservatoire Statement on Brexit and Home/EU Student Funding

This message relates to registered students of the Conservatoire for Dance and Drama who are studying on a course of higher education (e.g. Foundation Degree, Bachelors Degree, Postgraduate Diploma, Masters Degree) with one of the following member Schools of the Conservatoire:

  • Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
  • Central School of Ballet
  • London Contemporary Dance School
  • National Centre for Circus Arts
  • Northern School of Contemporary Dance
  • Rambert School of Ballet & Contemporary Dance

This message only relates to any students studying with a member School on a higher education course. (i.e. it does not relate to students on level 3 Diploma or Certificate courses). 

This message does not apply to any students of London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA) or the Royal Academic of Dramatic Art (RADA).

If you are unsure as to whether your course is a higher education course, you should check with your School.


The Conservatoire for Dance and Drama recognises that there is a lot of uncertainty around status and funding for European Union/European Economic Area (EU/EEA) students who are either currently studying on a course of higher education with our Schools, or planning to apply and study with us.  The Conservatoire is monitoring the situation with Brexit and what this might mean for our students, but at the current time we have a limited amount of information available to us.

In light of this, we feel it is important that you understand what we know and what we don’t know, so that you are able to be as informed as possible during this period of uncertainty.


Having Home/EU fee status means that you are classed as eligible to pay higher education tuition fees at a lower rate than students whose status is classed as ‘overseas’ (often referred to as ‘international students’).  Home/EU status can also grant access to tuition fee loans and grants that are not accessible to overseas/international students.

Our commitment to you

The Conservatoire is highly committed to supporting all of its students.  If you are a current student and are worried about Brexit, we would strongly encourage you to talk to the student support staff in your School.

Our commitment to you is that we will do our utmost to keep you informed, and will update this statement with any information about Brexit as and when it is available.

What we know and What we don't know

To help you understand where we have information that may concern you, and where we do not have clarity over the status and funding of EU students, we have put together the following tables of information which you can view or download in PDF format.

Tables of information

You can find out what information we know and don’t know by viewing the table that corresponds to your programme of study, and then finding the academic year in which you started (or are intending to start) the programme.


To Note: Students who begin studying on a Foundation Degree programme with the intention to continue their studies to complete a one year BA Hons Top Up degree are required by the UK government to apply for funding for the Top Up degree as a new programme.  This may mean that the funding circumstances and eligibility of those students may change depending on your intended start date on the BA Hons Top Up degree.


Please note that if an EU/EEA student’s period of study is not continuous at any point after the 2019-2020 academic year, we do not yet know what the status of those students or their funding situation will be.

For more information on fees, funding and eligibility, you can visit the following sites:




This statement was first published in February 2019 and updated in July 2019 following confirmation in late May 2019 by the UK government that EU students starting university in 2020/21 academic year will have guaranteed home fee status and financial support for the duration of courses in England.

The statement will continue to be reviewed and updated as and when information becomes available to the Conservatoire.