Skip to main content

London Contemporary Dance School

Image: Stephen Berkeley-White

Entry in 2016

In this section you will find information about tuition fees and financial support for higher education courses at the Conservatoire schools starting in 2016.

The Conservatoire offers financial support for undergraduates whether you are starting a course for the first time, or have a degree already and are pursuing professional training for a career in your chosen discipline. Your financial status will not affect how we view your application.

For an overview of the financial support available, you can download our leaflet:

Fees and Financial Assistance 2016-17

Information about Postgraduate Loans for Master’s degrees for 2016/17 is included on this page. You can also view Student Finance England’s introduction to the new loans here:

Introduction to Postgraduate Loans

Tuition fees (all students)

The table below shows the fees the Conservatoire will charge for courses starting in September 2016.

New UK undergraduate students £9,000

New EU undergraduate students £9,000

UK/EU second degree undergraduate students £9,000

Island students £9,000

Note: fees may rise in subsequent years in line with inflation.

If you are new to higher education, remember you will not have to pay anything upfront and you may be eligible for financial support from the Conservatoire. You may also be entitled to financial support from the Schools.

EEA and Swiss Fees

For students from the EEA and Switzerland, please visit the UKCISA website to check whether you are eligible for Home/EU fee status:–Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-6082

Students who are not eligible for Home/EU fee status will be charged an Overseas Fee.


Postgraduate and Overseas Fees

For information about tuition fees for postgraduate courses and overseas students, please contact the relevant school for the course you are interested in:

Student Finance (UK/EU undergraduate students new to HE)

If you are a UK or EU student and this is your first degree, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England, or its equivalent in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales. You can apply for:

  • A tuition fee loan (UK/EU students)
  • A maintenance loan to help with living costs (UK students only)

Remember you will need to reapply for each year of your training.

Tuition fee loan

If you are a UK or EU student new to higher education you can apply for a loan from Student Finance England (or equivalent) to cover the full cost of your fees. You do not have to pay anything upfront.

Maintenance loan

All UK students who are new to HE can apply for a basic student loan to help with living costs. The table below shows what you may be entitled to:

Living at home Up to £6,904

Living away from home, outside London Up to £8,200

Living away from home, in London Up to £10,702

EU students are not eligible.

Maintenance loans are paid in three instalments at the start of each term, after you have registered with your school and with the Conservatoire.

Apply for Student FinanceExpand Question

For more information, to estimate your loan entitlement, and to apply for financial support, visit the student finance pages of the Gov UK website:

If you are a student from Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales you can apply for financial support from the Scottish Government, the Welsh Assembly Government or the Northern Ireland Executive.

For students from Northern Ireland, go to:

For students from Scotland, go to:

For students from Wales, go to:

If you are a new student from the EU you will need to download an application pack to apply for Student Finance:

If you’re a continuing student you’ll be sent the application forms.

How do loan repayments work?Expand Question

If you take out a tuition fee loan and/or a maintenance loan from Student Finance England (or its equivalent), you will not have to repay anything until after you have graduated and are earning a minimum salary.

Key facts about repayments:

  • You won’t repay anything until you are earning £21,000
  • You will only repay 9% of what you earn above £21,000, i.e. if you earn £25,000, you will repay 9% of £4,000, which works out as £30 per month
  • After 30 years, the debt is written off
  • If you never earn over £21,000 you will never pay anything back
  • Student loans are not recorded on your credit rating file, i.e. this should not impact on your ability to get a mortgage

The table below gives examples of what your repayments might look like:

Earnings Annual repayment Monthly repayment
£15,000 Nothing Nothing
£21,000 Nothing Nothing
£22,000 £90 £7.50
£25,000 £360 £30
£30,000 £810 £67.50
£40,000 £1,710 £142.50
£50,000 £2,610 £217.50

The MoneySavingExpert website has a very useful summary of how student loans work.

Postgraduate Loan (UK students)

From 2016/17 a new Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000 is available for taught or research Master’s courses to help towards your fees and living costs.

You’ll be eligible if you:

  • are under 60
  • ordinarily live in England
  • don’t already have a master’s degree or higher qualification

The loan won’t depend on personal or family income.

You can apply for a loan of up to £10,000 as a contribution towards your course and living costs. If your course is longer than one year you can get up to £5,000 in your first year and the rest in your second year. The loan will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the academic year.

You will be able to apply through Student Finance England from summer 2016.

How do I repay my loan?Expand Question

You have to repay any loan you borrow, but not until you’ve finished or left your course and your income is over £21,000 a year. Repayments will be based on your income, not what you borrow.

If you’re studying full time you’ll start making repayments the April after you finish or leave your course.

However, no repayments will be taken before April 2019 and you’ll only start making repayments once your income is over the current threshold of £404 a week, £1,750 a month or £21,000 a year.

What if I already have a student loan?Expand Question

If you’ve had any other loans from the Student Loans Company for your undergraduate course, you’ll also repay these loans. For example if you took a loan for your undergraduate course that started after 1 September 2012, you’ll repay 9% of your income over £21,000 towards that loan and 6% of your income over £21,000 towards your Postgraduate Loan. So you’ll repay 15% of your income over the threshold in total.

A student loan repayment will be taken even if you don’t earn £21,000 in a year but exceed the weekly or monthly threshold at any time, for example if you work overtime or get a bonus. Any loan remaining 30 years after you’re due to start making repayments will be written off.

For an idea of what your repayments might look like, take a look at Student Finance England’s introduction to postgraduate loans.

Conservatoire Scholarships (UK/EU undergraduate students)

The Conservatoire offers a range of scholarships in the form of bursaries and fee discounts. See the table below for details of what the scholarships are worth and who is eligible. You can also view the table as a PDF:

View a list of Conservatoire scholarships for entry in 2016-17

How do I apply for a scholarship?

If you wish to be considered for a Conservatoire Scholarship, you need to indicate as appropriate on your application form to the school/s. You then need to complete an application to Student Finance England (or its equivalent) as early as possible in order to be income assessed. Remember to allow consent to share information. This will allow the Conservatoire to assess what level of support you may be entitled to.

You can apply to Student Finance for income assessment even if you are not eligible for a loan, or do not wish to apply for a loan. Scholarships awarded on the basis of talent will be allocated by the schools and all eligible students will be considered.

If you are eligible for an income assessed scholarship, you may also be considered for additional support through the ‘talent and need based scholarships’ criteria. The maximum amount you can receive is usually £4,000 per year for each year of training.

The Care Leaver and Estranged Students Bursary is allocated in addition to any other financial support.

Scholarship Who is eligible? How it is allocated How to apply What it’s worth Bursary or fee discount How many available
Income Assessed Scholarships

Bracket 1

UK and EU undergraduate students who are new to HE Household income £25,000 or less Income assessment through Student Finance or through the Conservatoire £1,500 per year for the first two years of training Choice of fee discount or cash bursary All eligible students
Income Assessed Scholarships

Bracket 2

UK and EU undergraduate students who are new to HE Household income £25,001 – £42,620 Income assessment through Student Finance or through the Conservatoire Up to £1,500 per year for the first two years of training Choice of fee discount or cash bursary All eligible students
Talent and need based Scholarships All UK/EU students on all undergraduate programmes Awarded on basis of talent and need Income assessment through Student Finance or Conservatoire means testing and/or audition/interview A maximum of £4,000 per year for each year of training Choice of fee discount or cash bursary Discretionary
Care Leaver and Estranged Students Bursary Meets definition of a care leaver or estranged student Awarded to all eligible students Self-identify as a care leaver or estranged student. You can do this at a number of stages:

– On the application form
– On the registration form
– Speak to a member of staff after you have started your course

Bursary of £1,000 per year for each year of training Cash bursary All eligible students




The schools may offer their own bursary schemes and support in addition to that offered by the Conservatoire. The links below will take you to the relevant section of each school’s website:

Bristol Old Vic Theatre School

Central School of Ballet

London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art

London Contemporary Dance School

National Centre for Circus Arts

Northern School of Contemporary Dance

Rambert School

Royal Academy of Dramatic Art

If you are applying for a second degree, you will not be eligible to apply for a student loan from Student Finance and you may wish to consider alternative sources of funding to support your studies.

National Union of Students
You can find information about funding for second degree students here on the NUS website.

If you are an overseas student, you may wish to consider alternative sources of funding to support your studies.

For details of any government scholarships or funding available for overseas study, contact the Department of Education in your home country.

Another helpful resource is the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). Visit to access their Funding Advice for International Students.

US Federal loans (US students)
US students may be eligible for US Federal Loans from the US Department of Education (FAFSA).

LGAC Scholarship Programme (Canadian Students)
The London Goodenough Association of Canada has a programme which offers residential Scholarships at Goodenough College to Canadian graduate students studying in London.

For further information about applying to university, you may find it useful to visit some of the sites listed below:

Tuition fee loans, maintenance loans and maintenance grants

Student Finance England

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) – how to apply

Guidance on student finance – 20 key facts on student fees and loans

Student Calculator – this website helps you work out a budget for during your studies

If you have further queries about fees and finance or about applying to a Conservatoire school, you may like to visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Skip to content